What is Cerebral Palsy?
Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that affect mobility and balance. According to the CDC, cerebral palsy "is caused by abnormal brain development or damage to the developing brain that affects a person’s ability to control his or her muscles."
Depending on the areas of the brain which are affected by cerebral palsy, it can cause:
- Stiff muscles
- Uncontrollable movement
- Balance issues
Do I Have a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit?
Some cerebral palsy injuries may be the result of medical negligence. Medical negligence can occur when a medical professional fails to provide a reasonable standard of care or makes a crucial mistake resulting in permanent injury or death. When an individual or family experiences this type of injury, a cerebral palsy lawsuit may be the last thing on their minds. However, when cerebral palsy attorneys hold medical professionals accountable for negligence, it can prevent similar mistakes from happening in the future and provide a lifetime of necessary care. Alternatively, our firm also specializes in birth injury lawsuits, genetic testing lawsuits, and wrongful birth lawsuits.
Examples of Medical Negligence in a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit:
- Missing, ignoring or incorrectly interpreting warning signs from fetal heart monitors
- Failing to resuscitate a newborn who is having difficulty breathing
- Incorrectly using or misusing forceps or vacuum extractor equipment
- Delaying to perform or failing to perform a necessary C-section
- Failing to diagnose or treat an infection
- Incorrectly diagnosing the fetal position in the uterus
- Severe jaundice caused by medical negligence
What Makes a Medical Malpractice Lawsuit Meritous?
In order to bring a successful medical malpractice claim or case, the claimant must prove that the health care provider acted negligently and that this negligence caused an injury and damage. Proving a case requires obtaining and reviewing medical records in conjunction with experts and then presenting the claim, with supporting evidence.
Lawyers specializing in cerebral palsy lawsuits have the knowledge and expertise to find the mistakes doctors made, gather expert witnesses, and hold negotiations for a settlement in your favor.
What Damages Could I Recover in a Cerebral Palsy Lawsuit?
A child with cerebral palsy has a lot of medical expenses. If medical negligence is the cause of your child's disabilities, we can help you recover damages. This compensation can be used towards early interventions, treatments, or therapies to help your child. Here are some examples of the types of compensation you may be entitled to:
- Past and future medical costs, including costs for home accommodations
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages in situations where one of both parents can no longer work, due to childcare needs
- Special education costs
- Rehabilitation and therapy costs
Our firm has decades of experience with cerebral palsy claims, to better assist you in your case. View our verdicts and settlements for more information on our history of success.